Daulton

My oldest son is Daulton. He was born on June 18, 1995. The day he was born was Father's Day.

I remember when I found out that I was pregnant with him. I was so excited. I already had a little girl and I just knew that I was going to have a boy. I had his name picked out and everything, Daulton Shane. No, I did not get Daulton from Road House (even though I love the movie and Patrick Swayze, it is spelled different anyway) You see, my husband is a sports nut, and in the 90's when the Atlanta Braves were doing so well, the Philadelphia Phillies were a rival, but I thought there catcher was just so darn good looking, Darren Daulton. I loved how his name looked on the back of his jersey: Daulton. I thought it was the perfect name for a boy. I started showing early with Daulton, I guess I just carried him differently. I got so huge. One month I gained 14 pounds!! I will never forget getting on the scales at the doctor's office for my monthly check up and the nurse looked at me and asked me if I had my purse on my shoulder!! She couldn't believe it either. The mid wife got on to me that day for eating to much and drinking to much soda. That is the last thing you do is tell a pregnant women she is FAT.  My feet swelled so bad that spring before he was born. I was HUGE. When I went into labor with him it lasted 15 hours. Yea the same mid wife that told me I was gaining too much weight also thought she was going to deliver him. She gave me the option of her or the doctor on call, I chose the doctor :)  I pushed for three hours trying to get him out (he has always had a big head!!) The doctor told me it was considered my first labor since with Devyn I didn't have labor and she was a C-section. When he finally arrived he was HUGE. I remember the doctor saying "Oh my goodness he has to weigh 10 pounds!" well he weighed in at 9 pounds and 10 ounces and was 22 inches long. I kept on telling the doctors during my pregnancy that he was going to be big and they all told me that I would be suprised, well they were suprised. (At 14 he is 6'2" and 154 pounds!)

Daulton did everything early. He was on cereal by the time he was two weeks old, because he had such an appetitte. I asked the pediatrician what I needed to do and he told me that Daulton was just going through a growth spurt (well I am still waiting on him to grow out of it) He rolled over before he was four months old, and he began walking two days after he turned nine months old, he has been swinging a bat since the day he started walking (no joke), a plastic one at that age of course. He was fully potty trained by the time he was two and he has hardly ever been sick. I always say he is like Arnold Swartzenegar in the movie TWINS, he got all the good genes.

Daulton has always loved baseball. I can remember when he was two and Devyn played softball. Daulton would sit on the bleechers with me and just cry because he wanted to go out on the field and play. We signed him up to play when he was four. Mike took him to his first practice and he cried because he didn't want to wear the batting helmet. Once he put it on he was fine. He has played baseball every season since then, fall, spring and summer. For ten years. This fall he made the JV team at his high school. He will have to tryout again for the spring league of course, but he is enjoying it.

This year on his birthday he had one of his best games, and one of his worst. He played two games that day. His travel team was in the state tournament and the first game was awesome. All of the boys played great. The second game Daulton was playing short stop and ended up dislocating, fracturing and cutting his right ring finger. He was in pain. He had to get stitches and have the doctor pop it back in place. The trooper he is still ended up playing the next day because he didn't want to let the team down. We had two other players injured and if he did n't play we would have to forfeit. He told me he could play first with one hand, I thought he was crazy. Mike called his coach and sure enough he played. He showed me. He even batted and hit one over the second baseman's head. He is my superman. I can say that because he is my son. Yes, the boy has many flaws, I know he is not perfect, but he is my son and I do take pride in being his mother. I am very hard on him. He is a great kid. He is so good with Addison and he does have a soft heart. He has always been my most laid back child. He was such a good baby, easy to please.

 D if you are reading this I want you to know, like I have always said, I am and will always be your biggest fan!
I love you!
-mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy

Blessed

Take it - Easy