Love in an Elevator

No, the title is not what you think. I know, Aerosmith is playing in your head right now, right? This is just a little story about the sweet innocence of a child. The Faith of a child. The belief of a child.

 I have had the privilege to work at the school that my little one attends. This is our last year together. It has been one of my joys! We come in together, I see her at lunch every day and sometimes we eat together. I get to go by her classroom for special events. We leave at the end of the day together. I will miss her so much when she moves to the intermediate school next year. At our little school we have two floors, which allows for a small elevator. Granted it only goes two floors, but Addison loves it. She loves taking the elevator everyday upstairs to leave. I on the other hand would rather walk the stairs, it just seems faster. When we ride it I pretend that I can do magic and make the door open and close, Addison hates it when I do this. I love to aggravate her. The other day, thou, she decided that we will never ride the elevator again! We got stuck.   This is another reason why I don't care for this particular elevator. I usually don't mind them, but this one does have a tendency to get stuck. Well at 4:30 in the afternoon  was one of those times. We get in, Addie presses the '2" button and it goes up, but I didn't feel it catch to stop. The arrow keeps blinking. I look at Addie and I wait. Patiently I press the "DOOR OPEN" button. Nothing. Calmly I press it again. Nothing. VERY Calmly I press it again. NOTHING. Addison looks at me and says "why isn't the door opening?" I am trying not to panic. After all it is after hours. No one is in the front office. ASP is open (I am the director and it was time for me to leave for the day) but my cellphone is out of range in the elevator. I said , "Well Addison, I believe we are stuck" She looked scared. "Mommy I am scared" I told her it was okay, but I am starting to get a Little ill. "Addison, this is why I don't like taking the elevator!" but I am really getting worried. I was already suppose to be at the high school to get Brady. Addie says " there is a phone right there" I press the help button and it alerts the elevator operator. But it takes two tries to do this. Finally someone answers and she tells me that someone will be there soon. Addison says' Mommy I am so scared!!" I tell her it is okay , it will be okay. She then looks at me and says "Can we pray?" Yes I tell her, pray, you go ahead a pray" She closes her eyes and out loud with out hesitation she starts "Dear Lord, please help us get out of this elevator, we are stuck, please be with us an help get us out of here very.... " as she is praying the door opens. Jesus came right on time. I knew it would be okay, but I was so thankful for this small little lesson with my Little one. Jesus does answer prayers. They might not always be how we want them, but he does answer. She just looked at me and smiled. What a life lesson. When in doubt, or times of fear, pray, Pray loud, without ceasing. Pray, no holds barred. He will answer. I let her know how proud I was of her faith. I also let her know that her prayers also will not always be answered that fast :)

 "Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." After laying His hands on them, He departed from there. Matthew 19:13-15

-paige

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy

Blessed

Take it - Easy