If I Die Young...

I know the title is a little dramatic, but I couldn't think of a better one. Today as a nation we come together to remember the tragic events 10 years ago. Anyone over the age of 5 ( yes I am stretching it, my middle son was two and he doesn't remember) remembers how our time as Americans stood still. Everyone that remembers, remembers what they were doing at the exact moment that we found out our country was under attack. For me, I was at home with my youngest two children at the time. Devyn and Daulton were in school and I was in my living room feeding my baby ( Gracie was three weeks old) and Brady was watching Blues Clues. My mother in law called me and told me to turn it to the news, a plane had just flown into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I sat there in shock as I watched the towers collapse, the eerie feeling of not knowing what else was to come. I remember thinking, " Wait, what about all of those people that are still inside?" My heart was heavy. I got cleaned up, and went and checked my kids out of school. Not that I was concerned for their safety, I just wanted my babies at home with me. There is just something about tragedy that makes you want your loved ones within arms reach, just to hold on tight. That evening was even more eerie, everything on television was about what was going on. The uncertainty of the future.

Here we are ten years later, still feeling the after shocks. We are still at war with an unseen enemy. We have all learned something from that terrible day.

 I have learned that life is precious. We never know what tomorrow is going to hold. We don't know the war that is going on inside someones mind. Our families are important, even if the are a little strange, they are still part of us. I have learned that we have to be careful with who we trust. I have learned that friendship is just as precious as family. Loyalty and integrity matter. I have learned that God is faithful. He will never stop loving us.  I have learned that I am so thankful for the fireman and policeman that have the calling to be who they are. It is not just a job, it is a passion. A passion for people and life. I have also realized how much I love being an American. I can worship in freedom. I have the freedom here that Christ describes. Americans just aren't survivors. A survivor is someone that overcomes a tragedy, person who continues to function or prosper in spite of opposition, hardship, or setbacks. Which is what we have, but I think we are more, I think we are Warriors. A Warrior is someone who has been in the battle, and comes out with the scars, and still has the courage to keep fighting. We fight daily. We have armed forces that fight for our freedom daily. We have public servants that fight for our rights and safety daily. We have mothers and fathers that fight for our well being daily. I am so blessed to be an American.

The title of my post is a song by The Band Perry. She describes what needs to happen if she dies young. I have had this song in my head all week. The chorus is stuck in my head, but the verse that I love the most is:

"and I will be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom"

One day we will all be meeting Jesus in His kingdom. So many, ten years ago went to His kingdom. One day I will be grabbing his hand as I walk into His light. What a day that will be. This is the peace that I have when I think about the memories of 9/11, and other tragedies. I might not always talk about how much I love Jesus, because I am flawed. But I can certainly brag about how much He loves me. How much he loves all of us. We were worth his tragic death, his miraculous Resurrection, his Ascension to the Father, and his ultimate return.

Thy Kingdom come thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven....
pg

Here is the link to The Band Perry's video "If I Die Young" http://youtu.be/7NJqUN9TClM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy

Blessed

Take it - Easy